Police agencies are no strangers to budget tightening and may be unable to fill vacancies. Yet the public needs law enforcement to provide public safety regardless of constraints. If we have to do more with less, we must become skilled at hiring and retaining the best and ensuring that every employee knows how he or she is doing.
This course explores four aspects of personnel management: recruiting the best talent, performing effective testing and interviewing, conducting thorough background investigations, and the best ways to retain high-quality employees.
Upon Completion: Participants will be able to:
• Identify and attract talent from a diverse pool
• Ensure that every candidate is treated fairly throughout the hiring process
• Make recruiting a rewarding experience for candidates
• Verify that the application and screening processes are bias-free
• Develop a policy that protects your hiring process
• Obtain assistance and buy-in from city/county HR departments
• Foster community involvement with the hiring process
• Create strong onboarding, mentoring, employee development and career counseling
• Assess the need for employee support groups
• Conduct thorough background investigations with consistency and without bias