The use of force is rapidly evolving, physically challenging and emotionally stressful event for many officers. Reporting the decision to use force requires effective note-taking, recall, organization, and narrative compilation skills. The goal of this course is to help law enforcement professionals write a clear, complete, detailed and accurate report to avoid unnecessary scrutiny and civil litigation.
This course provides concepts that will help officers and supervisors document use of force with reports that are clear, concise, accurate, and easy to understand. Additionally, participants will have dozens of report writing samples and templates for use in the field made available to them.
Upon Completion: Participants will be able to:
• Identify current use of force laws
• Identify critical details needed for every use of force report
• Write and examine reports using step-by-step strategies
• Apply strategies that make reports easier to read and write
• Capture specific data in reports to guide future use of force training
• Systematically analyze body-worn-camera video for reporting efforts