Field Training Officer Certification
Length of Seminar: 5 Days
Instructor: Steven Kellams
PATC FTO Certification Course
A professional training, education, and certification program offered by Public Agency Training Council (PATC). Successful completion of certification requirements will designate the attendee as a certified Field Training Officer through Public Agency Training Council.
To provide public safety practitioners who specialize in on-the-job training the opportunity to gain recognition for their education and professional dedication to the field training concept. Field training develops new employees into professional and ethical members of the organization. Agencies lacking a properly functioning field training program agencies are open to discredit and liability. A properly organized, supervised, and functioning field training program is critical to the development of an agency.
- To provide public safety agencies with a training and education program that will enhance the performance of field training.
- To encourage and facilitate continued education and learning in the essential agency function.
- To assist agencies in placing the proper emphasis on post-academy and on-the-job assessment tools.
- To provide Field Training Officers with the skills necessary to adequately train new employees.
Certification will be valid for two years. The successful candidate will receive special recognition for this achievement.
What you will receive upon completion:
- A certificate declaring status as a Certified Field Training Officer
- Three month free trial membership to Agency360 Field Training Software
Certification will require each candidate to attend PATC “How to be an Effective Field Training Officer” course and successfully pass the associated written and practical tests.
Graduates of the certification program who desire to maintain current status as a certified Field Training Officer you will be required to attend one PATC Field Training Officer related training program during the 2-year validity period. Courses include:
- Advanced Field Training Officer Course
- Leadership for the FTO
- FTO Refresher
- Supervising and Managing the FTO Program
Submit three completed Daily Observation Reports with all accompanying paperwork. (with identifying information redacted)
This course is designed to provide knowledge and training to develop Field Training Officers' skills.
Each new FTO will be presented with ideas and techniques to assist them in becoming more professional and confident in
the application of their skills. This course is based on a modified “San Jose” program.
Upon completion the FTO will be able to:
- Discuss the "San Jose" and other program models
- Identify demands on FTOs as Instructors
- List five of the errors in rating
- Understand the basics of Adult Learning Theory
- Identify liability issues
- Understand performance evaluations
- Instruct from Training Briefs
- Understand the Rating Scale and Reference Numbers
- Complete the Daily Observation Report
- Develop a Scenario and Additional Training plans
- Understand the purpose of program management and control