Drug/Narcotic Investigations: Legal Issues and Best Practices
Length of Seminar: 2 Days
Instructor: Shaun Santos
Over the last decade, narcotics enforcement has come under media and judicial scrutiny after lawsuits resulting from failed operations or injuries to suspects and informants. Developing a successful narcotics investigation requires more than extensive training and proper equipment. Sound judgment is just as critical.
This course highlights the state of laws regarding the operations of narcotics units. Using a case study approach, narcotics unit commanders, supervisors, and officers will review federal court decisions to identify policies and practices that will help them make legally defensible decisions and provide admissible evidence without compromising operations or creating liability.
Participants will be able to:
• Develop familiarity with precedent-setting cases regarding narcotics
• Detail the liability exposures for individual officers
• Explain the potential liability facing law enforcement agencies
• Better understand the nature of civil rights claims
• Assess the adequacy of the training for narcotics operations provided by the participant’s agency