Command Leadership For Field Training
Officers In Challenging Times
Length of Seminar: 2.5 Days
Instructor: Mike J. Coker
The Field Training Officer program is a nationally recognized system of training that has been adopted by many departments across the nation, and the FTO is the key component to retaining competent and committed officers. Because FTOs are responsible for shaping our future leaders, it is critical that we put more time in developing their knowledge and skills.
This course shares innovative ideas that add value and effectiveness to the FTO’s role. Participants will better understand how FTOs can enhance community policing and preparation for homeland security. The course explains the FTO’s value to the department’s success, the role of leadership, innovative theories of understanding people and behavior, and practical strategies for addressing common challenges.
Participants will be able to:
• Describe the importance of the department’s mission and vision
• Explain their role and job function within the department
• Use emotional intelligence and leadership ethics
• Deal constructively with problem recruits
• Explain the ideas and ethics different generations bring to the workplace
• Use strategies to reduce burnout