Kinesic Interview Techniques for Street and Road Patrol Officers
Length of Seminar: 2 Days
DEA officials have estimated that 40 percent of all drug arrests in this country start with a traffic stop. More illegal guns are taken off the streets as a result of traffic stops than by any other tactic. Even the Oklahoma City bomber was apprehended during a roadside/field interview. Law enforcement agencies are discovering the importance of the street/road patrol officer’s ability to detect deception with effective interview skills as a valuable tool in the fight against crime.
This course provides basic instruction in the Kinesic Roadside Interview Technique®, a multi-phase behavioral analysis system that improves the communications process, allowing more effective and efficient roadside interviews. Street/road patrol and drug interdiction officers will learn how to recognize the verbal, non-verbal, and emotional responses of subjects in a vehicle stop. Participants will learn how to control the interview and identify signs that tell whether a subject is being truthful or deceptive.
Participants will be able to:
• Detect deceptive signals and stress response answers
• Control a roadside interview by changing the area
• Recognize non-verbal cues such as body language
• Identify symptoms of speech quality and content that suggest truth and deception
• Recognize speech disturbances that signal deception
• Deal with angry roadside subjects
• Recognize and adapt to subject denial and bargaining statements