As trafficking in narcotics becomes more lucrative and complex, and law enforcement agencies are under increased pressure to reduce drug dealing in their communities, successful investigations require a higher level of knowledge. This course is an introduction to officers new to drug investigations as well as a refresher for those who want to become familiar with current trends. It provides a solid foundation of investigative techniques from which officers can safely and ethically conduct drug investigations.
The course includes the identification of current illicit street drugs, common terms, nomenclature, prices, weights, clandestine lab, and the Uniformed Controlled Substance Act, as well as local and national trends. Participants will receive relevant information on topics such as informant handling, consent searches, operations planning, and controlled purchases. Officers will be instructed on the importance of accurate and ethical documentation, testimony and evidence presentation for successful prosecutions. We will break down actual cases from initial investigation through prosecution.
Upon Completion: Participants will be able to:
• Learn what information sources are available
• How to use available information to initiate proactive investigations
• The physiological effects of illicit drugs
• Safely plan operations such as covert surveillance, controlled purchases, and raids
• Understand operational secrecy and security
• Learn proven, legal and ethical techniques for successfully conducting voluntary consent searches
• Perform safe and ethical controlled purchases of illicit drugs
• Understand the risks and proper handling of informants